Overcoming the “Perfect Family” Myth in Adoption
Many prospective adoptive parents have an inordinate fear of the process, worried that they won’t be perceived by birth parents or agency workers as suitable parents. The reality, however, is that there is no such thing as the “perfect family” or the “perfect parent.”
The most prevalent misconception is that adoption agencies seek to place children in a very specific type of family. In adoption proceedings today, however, most agencies try to place a child in a situation where they will have the best opportunity to thrive and become a well-adjusted member of society. As a result, most agencies don’t discriminate based solely on:
- Marital status—It is becoming more and more common for single parents to adopt, provided they can demonstrate that they’ll be able to meet the needs of the child.
- Sexual orientation—Many adoption agencies place children with gay and lesbian parents, either as couples or single parents.
- Disability—The Americans With Disabilities Act offers protections to prospective parents with physical challenges.
- Race—Adoption agencies are not averse to placing children with parents of a different race or ethnicity.
- Gender—Most adoption agencies will equally consider men with women as adoptive parents
- Age—Though most adoptive parents are between the ages of 25 and 50, many agencies will go outside of those informal limits, often depending on the age of the child.
- Size of family—Having children, or even a large family, won’t necessarily disqualify you from eligibility to adopt.
The other false belief is that adoption is only for wealthy individuals. There is no requirement that you own your house, or that you have a specific income level. There’s no requirement that only one parent work outside the home. An adoption agency won’t require you to prove that you have the money to pay for the adoption before you initiate the process. There are tax incentives, grants, and other types of financial assistance available.
Contact Adoption Attorneys Cofsky & Zeidman, LLC
At the law office of Cofsky & Zeidman, LLC, our lawyers bring more than 25 years of experience to every matter we handle. Attorney Donald C. Cofsky has personally handled more than 1,500 adoption proceedings since joining the bar in 1974. Attorney Bruce D. Zeidman has protected the interests of clients in state and federal courts in New Jersey and Pennsylvania since 1984. We understand the challenges you face, and can help you identify all your options so that you can make good decisions that are in your best long-term interests.